How to Roast a Chicken in the Crock Pot
Did you know that you can Roast a Chicken in the Crock Pot? It’s true–and easy! In this article, I will explain the benefits of this time-saving method and give you the step-by-step instructions for this simple recipe.
There’s nothing quite like an oven-roasted chicken. Paired with a green salad and vegetables, this simple dish is the star of the show. However, roasted chicken often requires a minimum of an hour to cook in the oven. The on-the-go lifestyle that many people lead does not allow that kind of time to cook on busy weeknights. That’s why I was so excited to discover how to roast a chicken in the crock pot. This method produces a flavorful bird and there’s no need to carve the chicken once it’s cooked as the meat falls off of the bone.
Cook Once, Eat Several Times
I’m a big believer in cooking once and enjoying the fruits of my cooking labors several times after. Once you learn how to roast a chicken in the crock pot, you’ll never go back! Here’s how I create multiple meals from one whole organic chicken (feeds 2-4 people):
Day 1: Roast the chicken in the crock pot and enjoy the chicken with a salad and veggies.
Day 2: Use the leftover bones and chicken to make bone broth.
Day 4: Top a green salad with colorful veggies, hard-boiled eggs, and any remaining chicken.
See how that works? I may spend more money to purchase high-quality organic meats, but I am actually stretching my dollar by squeezing several meals out of one cooked chicken! In addition, rationing the chicken and supplementing a dish with additional veggies or beans will allow you to stretch your meat budget even more!
The recipe below shows you the simple steps of how to roast a chicken in the crock pot. It’s quick and easy to put together. You’ll enjoy coming home to a healthy roasted chicken at the end of a long day.
- 6 Tablespoons Dill
- 2 Tablespoons Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Whole Organic Chicken
- ½ Cup Quality Olive Oil or Coconut Oil, Melted
- Mix first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place chicken in crock pot and cover with oil. Loosen skin and massage oil under skin.
- Rub spice mixture under and on top of the skin of the chicken, making sure to evenly distribute the spices.
- Cover the pot with the lid and cook on high for 4 hours of low for 8 hours.
- Carefully remove the meat from the pot with tongs. Use caution as the chicken and pot will be extremely hot.
- Save any bones and skin if you wish to make bone broth.